Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Times That Try Men's Souls

This is a new experience for me and I approach it with some trepidation. My life and heart are so full and I am so grateful for the Lord's blessings to me. My children have been on my mind a lot of late, especially with Becca finally able to implant her last embryos. I know how deep her desire to keep this promise has been. I also know that timing hasn't made it easy. I couldn't help thinking of her Tuesday as I was teaching and I knew that she was finally implanting. My class has been studying the Revolutionary War and as a part of the unit we analyze Thomas Paine's The American Crisis I. This time it has a universal meaning and seems so poignant as I watch the world around us and ponder how my children and grandchildren will navigate its evils.

I dedicate this piece to Becca and all the young parents that daily make the unpopular choices on behalf of future generation. (I love you Bec)

The Times that Try Men's Souls
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW, deserve the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly:-- 'Tis dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to set a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.
. . .My secret opinion has ever been, and still is; that GOD Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who had so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war, by every decent method which wisdom could invent.


In our times I am sure God Almighty will not give up a people to destruction and the calamities of this generation who cherishes His children and protects the family. It really takes courage and strength not to shrink from the demands of this day, but future generations will reverence those who try. I am proud of and grateful for all of my children but this day I salute Becca.

Love Mom

2 comments:

Julie Briggs said...

Thank you, Mom Briggs, for that quote. I think I very much needed to "hear" and be reminded of the part about "the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly." I don't know if that's the reason Jared and I have struggled to become parents, but it's definitely a lesson I'll never forget. I know Becca appreciates her children even in the toughest of moments because of her struggle to have them, and for that she is one of my heroes. I hope one day I can stand in similar shoes, look at my kids, and know that because I struggled to have them in my life, I'll never esteem them too lightly. What a glorious triumph that will one day be!

thomfamrocks said...

I love you mom!