Saturday, June 5, 2010

John Wooden, I will never forget you...


I actually was looking forward to John Wooden's death because sometimes he is forgotten when people like Bobby Knight and Dean Smith was called by some when they retired as the greatest coach... Give me a break... The other thing I hated to hear was that John Wooden couldn't do it today, another give me a break... John Wooden was an unbelievable person, teacher, and then coach.... He loved his wife Nelle and I am happy for him that he is with his belove wife and I am sure that they will accept the baptism and eternal marriage that someone will do for them in the temple... I have heard from some officials that he could say some pretty saucy things with his program rolled up and he is speaking through it as a offial runs by, but oh my, could he coach... I particularly remember him beating Elvin Hayes and Houston in the Semi Final in the NCAA tournament... I remember taking our dates home early so all my buddies could meet at Richie Giacopuzzi house at 11:30 PM to see the replay of UCLA basketball games... He won two championships with a center that was 6'5"... He once was in the elevator with my Dad in Salt Lake when we were there playing in the All Church Tournament and UCLA with Sydney Wickes playing in the regional NCAA tournament... He encouraged my Dad and show sincere interest in what he was doing... My Dad loved him... Bill Walton was a wild hippy but he would cut his hair and bear down for John Wooden... Greg Lee and Gary Franklin whom I played with in the ninth grade was on his team.... By the way we won the State Tournament in the 9th grade and played our final game on the floor that the Lakers played on... I won the most inspirational award in the tournament, sorry, I couldn't resist adding a great moment in my life... I love John Wooden very much and I have missed him after he retired but I really miss him now, but who knows maybe my Dad can teach him something in the Spirit World elevator about the God that John Wooden loves and he will be able to act on that love for eternity.... I shot a 72 today... We are getting prepared to go to Arizona this Monday... Night.... 39

1 comment:

Munchkin Invasion said...

I'm sure Grandpa will be able to teach him a few things now.... Grandpa would love that. :)